Sunday, December 30, 2018

Rings

Since was a young girl I have liked rings.
Fingers dressed up in shiny gold or silver.
Stones all different colors adding to their beauty.
Rings that meant nothing, the class rings from schools.
The dressy fancy ones, the old faded ones handed down to daughters.

My mother didn't wear that all important one a wedding ring.
Never thought of why she didn't wear one she was married.
Knowing our  rough life it was probably in the pawn shop.
I will ask her one day ,did he ever give her one?
Not that it should matter now but I wonder.

I wore a wedding ring for 30 years that finger was adorned.
It wasn't my choice a cold little ring that held no love.
Yet I wore it like a badge a trophy I was a married lady.
Came to find out early on it was a symbol of the impossible.
A link  to the chain that held me to emptiness.

The day I removed it from my finger was hard.
The disliked hunk of gold the faded lines in it.
The promise broken, the freedom felt at its removal.
Slipping it into his packed sock so he would find it.
Didn't deserve to have it handed to him there you go goodbye.

My finger was naked and I Was free of what that ring meant.
As months went by looking at my hand it felt so empty.
The weight was gone my finger bare it was calling for something.
Should I dare wear a ring again I wasn't married any more?
Dam it I would and on that finger again.

So I searched for something that wouldn't draw the eye.
A little something to remind me of just me to lift me.
Coming across one of my sons stainless steel rings it came to me.
I searched and found one so thin that wouldn't stand out.
It was soon joined by 2 others a trio of silver-toned joy.

They hold many meanings simple bands that remind me.
Hope, Faith,love, my past, present and my future,
Earth moon sky, the Holy Trinity,how life is full of circles.
Looking at them I see love for family friends and You.
Rings full circles unbroken reminding me of life.

They are not fancy no longer needed simple is good.
Not expensive but they make me smile on my own terms.
They remind me of what my life has been is and what will be.
Promises made to myself to follow my own path.
My choice my finger my rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The ring

 I saw it the moment you sat on my couch your Ring. The one that screamed this one is Taboo Run. I tried not to look at it I knew what it me...