Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Puerto Rican

I've always said my parents are Puerto Rican
I have stated I was born in the Bronx not the island.
I have never been there so it's hard to say I'm from there.
Newyorican is a phase I have often used to describe myself.
But this feels like I turned my back on my heritage.

I was just on pintrest looking up spanish quotes.
I found so many PuertoRican ones it felt like home.
I had forgotten how rich this culture is such a strong people.
From the food to the sayings to all the  customs so  me.
Spanish phrases that are so familiar that they sang to me.

Yes my children speak little to no spanish shame on me.
My Grandaughter is the only one who's picked up some.
She was taken care of by a nonenglish speaking sitter.
With her love of languages I hope she still knows some.
I regret letting life put this part of me on the back burner.

Sassy women careful don't cross a PuertoRican lady.
Don't you dare get us angry or catch you at lies.
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned  was written about us.
I had forgotten my sassy side for too long.
But this side of me has emerged so watch out world I'm back.

I long for a great conversation with another Pana is that the word.
A talk about almost anything would do in Spanish no less.
Someone who grew up like I did and share  laugh with.
Someone who also understands our shared culture.
And understand what  El Cuco or Arroz Con gandules are.

I miss many things about this part of me.
I'm going to acknowledge this I am PuertoRican.
This is my  Culture this is my blood this is my heritage.
Next time I am asked I know what I will answer.
I Am Borinquena I'M PuertoRican and I will say this with great pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The ring

 I saw it the moment you sat on my couch your Ring. The one that screamed this one is Taboo Run. I tried not to look at it I knew what it me...